word 11 : mark
1. a visible impression or trace on something, as a line, cut, dent, stain, or bruise.
2. a badge, brand, or other visible sign assumed or imposed.
3. an affixed or impressed device, symbol, inscription, etc., serving to give information, identify, indicate origin or ownership, attest to character or comparative merit, or the like.
4. something serving as an indication of position.
5. distinction or importance; repute; note.
6. an object aimed at; target.
7. a sign, usually an X, made instead of a signature by someone who does not know how or is unable to write his or her own name.
see also : marker